Thank you so much for your interest in adopting one of our homeless kids!
You have already taken the first step in helping to provide a loving home to a deserving Shar-Pei.
There is an adoption fee of $350.00 for each dog adopted.
This fee helps defray part of our rescue costs, including spaying and neutering, vaccinations, heartworm and flea preventative, and medical bills. We could not operate without charging adoption fees. We have occasionally lowered the adoption fee in the case of dogs that were already spayed or neutered before arriving in Rescue.
Please note that all approved applications will require a visit by one of our volunteers to inspect your home. There is a $25.00 non-refundable inspection fee that will be applied toward the adoption fee in the event your application is approved.
Please fill out and submit the application form. Answer all questions to the best of your ability. You can always contact us for more information if you have any questions or concerns. Applicants must be 18 years or older.
All dogs will be spayed or neutered.
All applicants must read and agree to our Adoption Terms and Conditions
The following Shar Pei Adoption Terms and Conditions are intended as a guideline for adoption. Our primary goal is to find the best possible home for the dogs in our Rescue. If this means bending the rules then we may do so at our discretion. So, if you find that you do not fulfill all of the Shar Pei Adoption Terms and Conditions but know that you could provide a great home for a Shar-Pei, please do not hesitate to fill out an application.
- (1) People interested in adopting a Chinese Shar-Pei through California Chinese Shar Pei Rescue must submit a completed Adoption Application for approval. The application process helps us to match the correct dog with the correct person. We have also found that people that are willing to fill out the application are serious about providing a quality home.
- (2) With a few exceptions, we will only adopt a Pei into an indoor home. We believe that Chinese Shar-Pei are a very family orientated breed and putting one outside is an invitation for disaster. Even so, we do ask that adoptive homes have a fence as fences provide a safe environment for your pet. We do make exceptions to the fence rule but only to homes who can prove a successful history with leash walking.
- (3) All of the dogs that come into our rescue are screened for temperament and health before placement. We will not knowingly place a dog with aggressive behavior problems. However, it is possible that any dog may display unwanted behaviors or aggressive tendancies, depending on the circumstances. In the case of serious behavior problems, we can provide advice and assistance to you up to the point of accepting the dog as a return.
- (4) Unless otherwise prevented by age or medical condition, all dogs will be spayed or neutered before becoming available for adoption. Also, all dogs adopted from us are brought up-to-date on vaccinations as well as heartworm and flea preventative.
- (5) California Chinese Shar Pei Rescue will not adopt a Pei into a home where the other animals are not spayed or neutered. Spaying and neutering your animals is one of the most important things that you can do to help with the pet overpopulation problem. We do, however, recognize the fact that some animals cannot be altered because of age or medical problems. Also, we recognize there are responsible breeders who have intact animals. We are willing to consider adoptions into these types of situations.
- (6) California Chinese Shar Pei Rescue reserves the right to conduct a home visit by one of our volunteers on all potential adopters. There is a $25.00 non-refundable inspection fee that will be applied toward the adoption fee in the event your application is approved. In the event you application is not approved, the inspection fee will be applied as a donation to help support or “kids.” We will also check vet references to ensure that all current pets are up-to-date on vaccinations.
- (7) Once your application is approved and your new best friend located, you will be asked to sign a contract. Basically, the contract states that you agree to provide all necessary medical care for your adopted friend and that you agree to house the dog in the manner which was agreed upon with us. The contract also says that if, at any point, you are unable to keep your adopted Pei, it MUST be returned to us. This means that the dog cannot be sold, given away, turned into animal control, given to a friend or relative, or otherwise disposed of. This contract is in force for the lifetime of the dog.
- (8) Although we prefer to place into homes within the State of rescue for logistical reasons, we will consider out-of-state placements. All out-of-state homes must have a home visit by one of our volunteers. NOTE: You must determine how you will provide transportation of your dog from our location to your home. We cannot provide transportation outside of our West Coast region.
- (9) California Chinese Shar Pei Rescue REQUIRES that dogs be returned to Rescue if the owner finds out that they can no longer keep the animal for any reason. This requirement is for the LIFETIME of the dog. If the dog is being returned due to a correctable behavioral problem, we may offer to pay for a session with a behaviorist to see if the problem can be overcome. It is our feeling that the Dog should be given every chance to succeed in its new home. Also, we like to believe that our adoptive owners are committed to making their new relationship work. We want to provide our adoptive parents with any support that we can.
- (10) There is an adoption fee of a minimum of $350.00 for each dog adopted. This fee helps defray part of our rescue costs, including spaying and neutering, vaccinations, heartworm and flea preventative, and medical bills. We could not operate without charging adoption fees. We have occasionally lowered the adoption fee in the case of dogs that were already spayed or neutered before arriving in Rescue.
- (11) By submitting this application, you understand that Homeward Bound California Chinese Shar Pei Rescue, and its officers, directors, volunteers, members, employees, agents, heirs, successors and assigns (hereinafter HBCCSPR) cannot be held liable for any damage that an adopted dog may cause. You are responsible for the daily care (feeding, exercising, etc.) for the dog for the period in which he/she remains at your home. You agree that at any time you are no longer able to care for the dog in your care, you will immediately notify HBCCSPR, so other arrangements can be made. You understand that you may not place any dog into another home without permission in writing from HBCCSPR.
- (12) In consideration of HBCCSPR’s acceptance of your adoption, you agree that you, your assignees, heirs, distributees, guardians, and legal representatives forever release and shall not make a claim against, sue, or attach the property of HBCCSPR for any actions, causes of actions, suits, liabilities, claims, demands, damages or causes of any kind or nature whatsoever, whether presently existing or arising in the future, whether known or unknown, which arise out of or are based upon any fact, matter, claim or thing involving your adoption. You further agree to indemnify and defend HBCCSPR against and save them harmless from any and all demands, claims, causes of action, or judgments, and any and all expenses (including, without limitation, attorneys fees) incurred in investigating or resisting the same, for injury to person, loss of life, or damage to property occurring during your adoption, and until all applicable statutes of limitation expire, arising out of any act, omission, or neglect of HBCCSPR.
If you have other animals, please indicate what kind (dog, cat, rabbit, etc.)